Fontanellato owes its name to the presence of copious underground water that come to the surface from the underground (karst springs); the first settlements in this area date back to the Bronze Age. Under the dominion of the Sanvitale family (1378), the town was fortified, and this medieval structure can still be seen today. The imposing 14th-century Fortress is in the heart of the town centre and stands out as a great example of military and residential architecture; the castle houses a masterpiece, namely the fresco depicting the myth of Diana and Actaeon, painted by Francesco Mazzola (Parmigianino) in 1524.
The Sanctuary of the Beata Vergine del Rosario, a popular pilgrim destination, is also worth a visit; it is situated outside the old town and its construction began in 1514.
Source: Website Fontanellato Turismo, Parma e provincia – Guidebook by Touring Club Italiano
Images courtesy of the Castelli del Ducato di Parma e Piacenza Photo Archive