Roccabianca lies in that stretch of alluvial plain between the rivers Stirone and Taro, to the right of the Po. The town was named “Roccabianca” after Bianca Pellegrini, Pier Maria Rossi’s beloved; he had the castle built for her between 1450 and 1465. The castle houses the Stanza della Griselda (Griselda’s hall), whose walls are decorated with frescoes depicting the story of the 100th novella of Boccaccio’s Decameron. The original frescoes were moved into the Sforza Castle in Milan in the 1800s. The frescoes that can be admired in Roccabianca castle are a copy painted by Gabriele Calzetti from Fidenza between 1997 and 1999. The castle lies in Piazza Minozzi, an 18th-century square with porticoes and a horseshoe-shaped plan.
Don’t miss a visit to the parish church dedicated to the Saints Bartolomeo and Michele, dating back to the 16th century and refurbished in the 17th century. It is situated in Piazza Garibaldi.
Source: Website of the Municipality of Roccabianca (comune.roccabianca.pr.it), Parma e provincia – Guidebook by Touring Club Italiano
Image courtesy of the Castelli del Ducato di Parma e Piacenza Photo Archive.
Useful Telephone Numbers
Comune di Roccabianca: +39 0521 374063
Carabinieri (National Gendarmerie): +39 0521 876114
Tourist Office: +39 0521 876165