Location

Municipality of Compiano, 80 km from Parma

Opening period

From March to December

Description

Compiano Castle is stronghold set on the crest of a hill overlooking Taro river. It was built before 1000 a.C., now it is home to “Gambarotta  collection”, with several pieces of art, furniture, paintings from 1600 and 1700, “Orizzonti massonici” exhibit and  Enogastronomic museum. Part of the castle is a centre for conventions and a relais, for an elegant stay.

History

It has been property of Landi Family up to 1682, then of Farnese, the castle has been extended and restauredmany times. It has a massive structure and an irregular pentagonal plant, surrounded by three round towers “piacentine” and another more ancient square tower.

Source: Associazione dei Castelli del Ducato di Parma e Piacenza – Link
Images courtesy of the Castelli del Ducato di Parma e Piacenza Photo Archive

Share this page