Munucipality of Sarmato, 16 km from Piacenza
From the 30th of March to the 31st of October
The compound is made by the castle, dominated by the central tower, the rocchetta and from the ancient hamlet, surrounded by the walls, with two angular Towers and ravelins. The entrance, the salon, the bederooms, several furnished rooms, an important catalogue – with documents of XII century – and the garden can be visited. It is the present residence od Counts Zanardi Landi.
Sarmato Castle has its origins in a colony of russian Sarmati people, that arrived in Italy with Longobards in the middle of 1500. Originally, the passages had lift bridge and gangway, as we can understand, looking at the still present joints. In 1216, the castle is already documented: in that year some armies from Piacenza and Milan met, ready to declare war to their enemies from Pavia. This castle, together with San Giovanni and Borgonovo Castles, was one of the most important outposts, built by Guelfi from Piacenza, to defend Tidone valley, against the Ghibellini from Pavia.
In 1270, the fortress, at that time Pallastrelli family’s property, was attacked and deeply damaged by armies of Umbertino Landi, Lord of Bardi. In 1376, the castle was given by Galeazzo Visconti, Lord of Milan, to nobleman Bartolomeo Seccamelica, that just bought it from Pallastrelli, then thanks to the only daughter it became property of Scotti family and, for a short time, of Counts Arcelli from Tidone valley. After many political and military vicissitudes, in the middle of 1400, it was again property of Scotti until 1819, when, it was given to Counts Zanardi Landi, following the death of the last heir. The Castle is still their residence.