Scipione Castello, Municipality of Salsomaggiore Terme, 43 km from Parma
All year round
Scipione Castle is one of the most ancient Castles of Emilia Romagna and was built by Marquises Pallavicino in the XI century, inside the namesake and suggestive village. It still presents furnished rooms with historical witnesses of 1600, frescoes and coffered wooden ceilings. From the elegant loggia it is possible to admire the hill landscape. It has also 2 elegant suites de charme with panoramic view.
Scipione Castle is property of Marquises Pallavicino, one of the few lineages in Europe that has more than one thousand years of history. It is still inhabited by descendants of this family and stands on the green hills, that dominate the Parco Fluviale Regionale dello Stirone, near Salsomaggiore Terme, inside a suggestive medieval village.
It was born as military construction, as defense of Stato Pallavicino, direct fief of the Holy Roman Empire, this Castle had a primary importance during the Middle Age, thanks to its strategic location. It was also a defense of several wells for salt extraction, which Pallavicino were the main producers and traders of.
Within the furnished rooms it is possible to see many witnesses of 1600, frescoes, coffered wooden ceilings and the elegant loggia, that looks over the surrounding hill landscape, but also decorations of 1400, that tell the araldic and family stories of Pallavicino.