Municipality of Varano de’ Melegari, 31 km from Parma
From the 31st of March to the 30th September
Varano Castle was built in 1208 on a rock of sandstone and modified in 1400.
It was a strategic stronghold for guarding Ceno river valley and is one the best examples of defensing architecture.
It shows some differences with the other castles of Parma: three of the four towers are aligned on the part looking over Ceno river, the central tower in placed at the north angle toward the street; morevoer the entrance is located in the central tower along the side of the castle.